Prince Harry has expressed his love and gratitude for his father, King Charles, who is battling cancer, and hinted that the monarch's illness could have a 'reunifying effect' for the royal family.

Celebrity Trending
0

 


In an exclusive interview with Oprah Winfrey, the Duke of Sussex said he was 'grateful' he could 'spend any time' with his father, who was diagnosed with prostate cancer last year and underwent surgery in January.



'I love my family. I always have and I always will. And I know they love me too. We've been through a lot together, and I don't want to dwell on the past or the negative. I want to focus on the present and the future,' Harry said.


He added that he hoped his father's health crisis would 'bring us closer together' and 'heal some of the wounds' that have been caused by his and Meghan's decision to step back as senior royals and move to the US.


'I think it's a wake-up call for all of us, to appreciate what we have and not take anything for granted. I'm just happy that I can be here for him, and for my brother and my grandmother, and the rest of the family,' he said.


Harry also revealed that he was considering becoming a US citizen, after settling in California with his wife and their son Archie, who will turn two in May.


'I love this country. It's been very welcoming and supportive of us. And I feel like I have a lot to contribute here, especially with the work that we do with our foundation and our media company,' he said.


He said he had not made a final decision yet, but he was 'open to the possibility' of applying for citizenship, which would require him to renounce his British title and pay taxes in both countries.


'I'm not in a rush. I want to do it the right way. And I want to make sure that I'm still connected to my roots and my heritage. But I also want to embrace the opportunities and the challenges that come with living in a new country,' he said.


Oprah praised Harry for his 'courage' and 'honesty' and said she was 'honored' to have him as a guest on her show, which aired on Sunday night on CBS.


The interview was the first time Harry spoke publicly since his grandfather, Prince Philip, passed away on April 9 at the age of 99. Harry flew back to the UK to attend the funeral, which was held on April 17 at Windsor Castle.


He said he was 'glad' he could pay his respects to his grandfather, who he described as 'a legend' and 'a role model'. He said he had a 'very good' conversation with his father and his brother, Prince William, after the service, and that they were 'making progress' in repairing their relationship.


He also said he was looking forward to meeting his niece, Lilibet Diana, who was born on June 4 to William and Kate. He said he had sent them a 'congratulatory message' and a 'gift' and that he hoped to see them soon.


'I'm very happy for them. She's a beautiful baby. And I'm sure she'll grow up to be an amazing person, just like her parents and her brother and sister,' he said.


He said he was also excited about the arrival of his own daughter, who is due in July. He said he and Meghan had already picked a name, but they wanted to keep it a secret until she was born.


'We're over the moon. We can't wait to welcome her into the world. And we're very grateful for all the love and support that we've received from our fans and friends,' he said.


Post a Comment

0Comments

Post a Comment (0)